Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It ain't Queen Mary road

I thought that Queen Mary had to be the worst I'd seen for potholes. I am sure one could drive on QM 15 minutes after it was paved and the potholes would already be back. I also thought I had seen Addis' worst road but one I was on tonight took the cake. I had dinner with Melaku at an Italian place. The road we took back to Bole after dinner was nothing short of a gravel base littered with large seemingly sharp rocks that protruded above the landscape. It was littered with deep holes, and one of them looked like it was a 6-8 inch drop to the bottom of a small valley.

A few weeks ago when I went to a beer garden, there was a ferenge with us who now lives in Kampala Uganda. He mentioned that the roads in Addis are beautiful and so nicely kept compared to those in Kampala. Compared to roads in North America, on a scale of 10, those in Addis are about a 3. I can just imagine what they are like in Kampala.

It's close to 25,320 minutes until I meet the Sweet Thing in Nairobi on October 31. Annabelle, are you going out for hallowe'en? Paddy/Sean, what are you going to be. If you haven't thought of anything yet here are some ideas:

Annabelle ... a chocolate bar
Paddy ... a piece of cake
Sean ... a Beatle

2 comments:

Ben J. Abbey said...

I have eps 1-4 of S1 of Sopranos. How can I get them to you? I can set up an FTP if you want, I have 120KBps upstream...

Pls email response.

Shauna said...

Thanks for the ideas! I'll talk to the boys tonight & get back to you with their reactions.