Friday, October 9, 2009

It never rains in Addis in the summer!!

That's what I thought until the last 2 days. It was very wet yesterday and today except nowhere near as much downpour as in the winter. I delivered my first audit piece to MoFED today amidst much fanfare. I have no real plans yet for the weekend outside of tennis Saturday with Hiruy.

We went for Chinese at lunch and it is now official ... we prefer China Bar over the Forbidden City. They have more choice but it is more expensive. A nice 4-dish lunch for 4 at China Bar with white rice was a whopping $40 and it's a mere $30 at the City. Also, rice comes when you ask for it at the Bar. At the CIty you could ask for it 3 or 4 times over a 30 minute period and it could still not have arrived.

I will be picking up my white sports coat at the tailor's today after work. Stay tuned for a picture on Facebook. I went with Tagel and priced cameras yesterday. The 12 mpixel Canon was 7800 birr (a mere $700 CAD) and the 12 mpixel Panasonic Lumix a mere 9800 birr (or $900 CAD). I am asking Paul to get me another Casio Exilim for $145 USD when he is in America this week (would translate into 1750 birr here). Even though he already has, Tagel is getting one as well in case he loses the one he's got. For 1800 birr it is an investment. He paid over 6000 birr for the Sony he has now.

Maybe one of you out there in BLOG land can tell me why Sony and Olympus (and probably more) use a proprietary storage card (not the industry standard SD format)? Now that so many PCs read SD cards, why would a camera vendor use anything else?

No comments: