Friday, November 13, 2009

Back to St. Gabriel

As I was not "happy" with the swelling and the redness around the stitches on my left hand middle finger, I returned to the hospital for a medical opinion this morning. I waited about 40 minutes, then the doctor had a look. He thought it was healing nicely, though suggested a cleaning once I was there. They used some sort of solution, then swabbed it with iodine. I was given a prescription for Amoxicillin (500mg 3 times a day for 7 days), and sent packing. Even though I do not need to go to the hospital to get the stitches out Monday, I will anyways. By then if it appears so obvious and the sutures have started to let go, I will do it myself.

After dinner last night with Misha wanted to show me his tambourine that he bought in Istanbul last week. In the Arabic world, this percussion device is called a riq. We jammed a few numbers, and he was GREAT. He does some interesting things mostly with his fingers as his hands are mostly tied up supporting the instrument. His rhythm and technique were amazing, and he is apparently taking lessons at home in Yonkers. We did Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan (his favourite was Kid Charlemagne), Beatles, Traffic, and many more. He also played some of his originals and they were all in Russian, very melodic, and used a lot of minor chords which adds dissonance and emotion to any music, regardless of region. I was thrilled to hear such resonant percussion underneath, and sometimes on top of, my guitar/vocals. Having lots of experience with other musicians, I would periodically back off on volume, allowing the music to go around a few times so he could "solo". While he played I pounded lightly on the tambourine as best I could with my fingers.

Naddy, what's the update on the daughter/courses/work?
BJ, any news on the job and Ottawa?
Naomi, back at school yet after the H1N1 closure?
How's the new place Nathan?
Deb4/Jaklaz, excited about Hungary?
JJ/Joel, how's Baha Fresh without me?
How are the drums and the guitar-man, Paddy and Sean?
DeeTee, you getting my emails?

1 comment:

Ben J. Abbey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.