Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dinner and a show

Melaku and I did both on a cool Saturday night. We went back to a French restaurant I had been to once with him and Jorge from Kampala. I did not have anything that first night I was there as the trip to the establishment was sprung on me after I was picked up. It is basically a place to get garlic, with accouterments (other morsels of food) on the side. I had calamari and Melaku had talapia. He was quite interested in what I got, never having heard of the fish until I called it octopus then he smiled in remembrance.

We motored to a club between Sarbet and Mexico called the Showroom afterwards. It is nestled in the midst of a VW/Peugeot dealership and was a big big club with very few people in it. There were 2 singers on stage, and one of them "pretended" to play a set of electronic drums. I did hear the odd fake cymbal crash and attempted drum roll. The material was mainly Motown, and they were both very good vocalists. There was no band, the background music provided by a computer program. We left after a set and I got home about 11:30 (late for me again). Melaku mentioned he was surprised that the band was canned and I understood why there was nobody there ... the club/musicians are probably trying to save money with fewer humanoids on stage. With real live music, a full club (400-500 people) could gross upwards of 40-50,000 birr night (minimum) or 1000-2000 a night with computerized background music.

Will have a bite then watch a Sopranos episode this AM then prepare for the 2 year-old extravaganza at Tagel and Marta's place this afternoon. Anywhere from 26-34 hours to go until I see the folks at Yordanos and HOPEFULLY get my cast off. Yippeee !!!!!!!!!!! If that does play out, I will be taking Friday off; partially to visit a few stores I have been wanting to go to and partially to assist at the Dulcian compound with the preparation for Thanksgiving feastarama Friday evening. There was a huge amount of banging early this morning with people close to Deker doing what ever it is that needs to generate such a din of sound waves to waft into the guest house and ensure Sunday for all of us starts as early as the feverish work commences; the earlier the better.

No comments: