Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hard to believe it's been 46 YEARS

The 46th anniversary of the assassination of JFK. Seems like yesterday in some ways, but at least, if not more, 46 years on the other hand. Everyone in my generation remembers that day. I was 14, and in grade 10. I was on my way back from the gym through the tunnel at Lisgar. I was told by someone I passed that Kennedy had been shot. We had a Latin teacher with halitosis named Mr. Kennedy. I thought, for a minute, that he had been popped. I will never forget

1) Walter Cronkite's teary announcement of JFK's passing
2) Jack Ruby shooting LHO
3) The salute at the state funeral by a very very young Kennedy as his father's casket was sitting awaiting burial

And where were you? And what were you doing? It was about 1PM eastern when it happened, and I still wonder how someone can get shot from the back and the head jerk backwards as the bullet enters the body. I have been to Dallas 3 times and did go to the Sixth Floor museum the first time. The second time I was there, the famous Zapruder film had just been released. The lady in the red dress from the film was camped out at a mall near the Dealy plaza and I did meet and chat with her with my heart-a-pounding, of sorts. My theory ... it was the CIA, but that's just me :) He was getting too cozy with parties the USA was not interested in being regarded as "close to".

By the way, did you hear there is a bill being discussed seriously in the USA to re-establish relations with Cuba and permit citizens to travel there?

No comments: