Saturday, August 1, 2009

Guidance from the pros ...

Leaving for Frankfurt Friday August 7 at 5:15PM. I get to FRA at 6:30AM CEST. I leave Frankfurt for Addis Ababa at 10:30AM CEST and arrive at 6:20PM EAT. When Canada is on daylight savings time, Addis Ababa is 7 hours ahead of Ottawa, 8 when on standard time.

This work was the seed of Paul Dorsey, a colleague in New Jersey (www.dulcian.com). I will be auditing a system and performing some Oracle technical work at the same time. The client wants a health check performed on a handful of Oracle databases. I will also be mentoring their employees on best practices and advanced management techniques for working with Oracle databases.

I have received a few long emails about the workplace and the arrival at Bole international. Picture that! Michael Abbey in a jacket and tie EVERYDAY!!
"For work, count on high end business casual or full business. Slacks and long sleeve dress shirt. I would wear a coat and tie. I tend to wear a suit.

For casual, no one wears shorts ever ( not even on weekends). Bring jeans and casual stuff for evenings, weekends.

Oh one important thing. Bring a GOOD pair of hiking boots for walking in. Best thing I ever brought. Many streets are unpaved. When it rains its muddy. I LOVE my boots. Also, we will go hiking for fun."
"When you arrive, there will be a big line to get visas, you can ignore that and go right to the immigration lines (Lots of lines leading up to little booths).

After immigration, you can wait to get your bags. There will be an x-ray machine at customs that you usually get to just walk by and smile.

After you get out of customs, we will will pick you up at the airport but we will probably NOT be right outside in the terminal waiting room. Walk around there for about 3 mins looking for us just in case we came in. If it is raining, I will probably be in the terminal looking for you.

To get into the terminal as a visitor there is a long line and security and it is annoying. So we will probably meet you in front of the terminal. Walk out the door on the right and walk down the ramp.

Avoid all the guys that will want to "help" you."

4 comments:

Ben J. Abbey said...

Can't wait to read all about this! Do you have a DSOTM tie? I hope so! If not it's my mission to find one for you. You will be really missed on my many visits to Ottawa. Hopefully SWEET THUG can visit!

Like Dave I blog too: http://dubzee.blogspot.com/

Michael S. Abbey said...

BJ I will take a DSOTM "tie" as you put it ...

Sandy said...

I diod not know you were going to Ethiopia. Why is it the wife is the last to find out? What a wonderful experience for you SB

Ben J. Abbey said...

SVP email me your address in Addis Abbeyba when you have it and I'll see what I can do. Merci/si/suite, etc.