Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So many words.

The guitar ... here? oh ... saga continues. I had hoped that the Tagluitar I was told about yesterday would materialize when I arrived at the office. That did not happen and I was not about to bother him about it as he had been kind enough to offer to bring it in. I suggested to Dr. Paul at lunch that maybe we could leave early and go to Dembel mall to guitar hunt. It was too busy this PM for that to happen. We also need to speak with the RSU lawyer before returning to Dembel as he had mentioned that if the store in the mall does not suit our needs, there is another store across the street.

Those 3 words ... across the street ... are the gist of how challenging it is to be in a culture other than the one we have become accustomed to. In Canada, across the street means just that; Steve's Music is across the street from the Bytowne. VanCity is across the street from the RBC. Yerba Buena Gardens are across the street from the Marriott. What "across the street" means in Addis remains elusive. When we were at Dembel mall a few days ago and found the music store closed, we followed the lawyer's advice and looked across the street. The closest thing we could find to another store, across the street, where one might be able to purchase a musical instrument was a stationary store. The mission will re-convene once we have discussed again with the avocat ... this diatrab is not intended to look at the people/customs in Addis with dis-favour; merely illustrate the looming cultural differences we encounter as we travel.

The Ileana reading again today is red. There was quite a bit going on at work and I made no posts to the BLOG yet today. I also experienced again one of the most perplexing puzzles one plays regularily if fortunate enough to venture off North America. In 6 words, that puzzle is called "To Zero or not to Zero" (abbreviated TZONTZ from here on :)). That zero in question is that which separates a cell number (say 0912-212990 from its close relative 912-212-990). The sophisticated world traveler, which I think I am, knows when TZONTZ:

1) when calling country A from country A, use the leading 0
2) when calling country A from country B, after composing the country code, drop the leading 0

I signed up for AfriCalling on the web to be able to call Canada for 28 cents US a minute with no minimum, connection fee, or weekly toll. Those 3 phenomena are what make many prepaid calling cards anything BUT the deal they are supposed to be. Say a card claims to allow one to call Canada from Ethiopia for 3 cents a minute. Then there's a 3 minute minimum (no big deal), a 99 cent connection fee, and a 40 cent per week maintenance fee. Suppose one makes 10 calls a week, so that maitenance fee split over 10 calls is 4 cents each.

So that 3 cent a minute, for a 2 minute call, instead of the anticipated 6 cent charge becomes:

3 minute minimum = 9 cents
connection fee = 99 cents
contribution to weekly maintenance fee = 4 cents

Lo and behold, the call was in effect (9+99+4)/2 = 56 cents a minute. See why 28 cents a minute is really a deal? There are 3 ways to make calls with AfriCalling:

1) web interface
2) 800 number only available in North America
3) 646 area code callback feature available from anywhere; when one uses this feature, the phone at the other end is not answered so there is no LD charge to initiate the callbak

For me, 2) and 3) did not work. So I tried 1) for a few days and NOT ONE CALL went through. The web interface asks for

- country code where call is being made from
- number to call back in that country to facilitate the connection
- country code you are calling
- number being called in that country with full area code (and city code if one is used)

So I entered 251 (Ethiopia country code), 0912212990 (number calling from), 1 (country code for Canada), then 6131234567 (number to call in Canada). Then finally today I decided to play TZONTZ.

Fact: there is nothing leading me to believe that the callback, which rings my number then the target once I pick up, is in Ethiopia
Fact: if when I am being called, the source of that call is not in Ethiopia, drop the leading 0

Lo and behold, when I entered 251, 912212990, 1, 6131234567 it worked! Need I say more ... isn't TZONTZ fun :)
Steve B. thanks for the advice. I will use Four Strong Winds from Dan's third album if Tagel brings in his axe.

Sis, thinking of you.

David R., liked the latest ad RL sent me.

JW, Baha Fresh Addis ... sounds good, no?

Deb4, I know you keep finding my Sweet Thing well.

Berrett, if you are reading my BLOG, I am honoured, you too #1.
#3, you Hungary yet?

JD&PD, rumour has it BluesFest feedback has supported the feeling we had that I think you may have had too ... week weekends for us baby boomers.

Munching on crackers and peanut butter which, according to mikowaby, beats just about any other snack food. Ileana by the way is Paul's wife and commented one day how I had not posted to the BLOG yet that day.

5 comments:

Ben J. Abbey said...

And it's healthy! I have bananas and peanut butter for breakfast every morning before I go to the gym.

Sandy said...

Sweet Boy Enough with the calling card - I couldn't follow the details after the second paragraph It's amazing how much we take for granted everything here at home...across the street from us - great neighbors that we never talk to. btw SB and Benno peanut butter and bananas GROSS... yet another difference between the Abbey's and the Kronicks

Sandy said...

btw Helena and Janet Shaffran say hi

Joel said...

Michael,
My trip to Columbus OH this week hardly seems like I'm away from home cpmpared to your trip. My only observation of the culture here is the lack of a quality burrito - my God, how do these aliens survive?? Anyway, hope all is well with you on the other side of the planet. Find any eggrolls to write home about there? Take care, Joel aka baja boy

Michael S. Abbey said...

Columbus OH, is that in Africa too? Hi Janet and Helena; hope you were s silly girl in MTL.