Saturday, August 29, 2009

The kid is hot tonight ...

As per the words of that famous Loverboy song ... hot does not describe the day I have had. Naturally with my big plans of sleeping in, I did. Ya right, until 7:30! I had some breakfast, packed the knapsack for my planned outing(s) today, and left around 8:30 for the Bole 19 tennis club. The place was bustling by the time I got there. I sat for a while then asked the people close to me if anyone spoke English. The youngest of the gang (about 12 maybe) said he did. I was told to speak with the coach who was just finishing up a lesson on court 1 with a couple.

He introduced himself as Hiruy (pronounced Heer-oo-ee) and the fun began. We warmed up for 30 or 40 minutes then played a set which he won 5-1. The ball boys were cute and, like most 12 year-olds quite lazy. They loved my racket and new tennis balls. After the game, the guy showed up who I had been speaking with last Sunday when Tagel took me to show me the club. We sat and had what turned out to be called "machiatto", very much like a cap in Canada. The three of us chatted and chatted and chatted. We spoke about music too and Melaku, the guy from last week, was especially interested in my musical prowess.

Melaku offered to drive me to Dembel to look for a guitar strap. Dembel is on one of the Bole roads and is a western-like shopping centre. He suggested going to ABC first (a music/sound store near Dembel) as I needed to see if I could get my guitar strap amp fixed. It stopped working last night. The power comes on but no volume. When I wiggle the speaker where it attaches to the strap I hear the familiar growl of electronics from an amplifier. I left the strap there as they thought they could fix. I left my cell number and Melaku left his too in case they needed to give some information that I would not be able to understand.

He then took me to see the Greek club, near Dembel, a very nice country club. If I were to join it is very affordable but I will stay at Bole 19 as it is closer and where my tennis life has started in Addis. I was told that it is possible to play at Bole 19 as late as 9 PM which is good to know. I was not going all week since I was not getting home until almost 6:30. Melaku brought me back to Deker Inn and we visited for a while and he looked at my guitar. He told me of some European guys that get together at a club to jam and said he would turn me onto them. S W E E T !!!

I was told to call Hiruy on his cell when I am thinking of coming to the club for tennis and he will give me a good time. I told him 90 minutes of tennis is best for me and that I would like to do half lesson and half game and he said fine. I asked him where I could go to watch the US open and he told me really the only place in the whole city is the Hilton.

I showered and am just heading out for a stroll which will include lunch. I am pumped; or did you not notice :)

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow I am soooo excited for you SB - yes it's very clear how pumped you are. Hope you get the amp and guitar strap fixed. xox

Joel said...

Hi Michael, sounds like you adventure is going quite well. Always interesting to hear about life far away. I'm going to pick up Janet next week to kidnap her and bring her back home to FL. Sorry you won't be around to visit. Take good care, Joel