Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Goo goo gaga

I think I am starting to figure out (in my opinion) the attraction of the third world to people living in the western world ... the simplicity of life and the fact that the most important things in life ARE the most important things in life. The people here look to the western world for guidance and, when we can get our act together and do what really matters most, we are good role models. Not being familiar with the details of the humanitarian initiatives going on here, I cannot comment if we could do more; from the perspective of an outsider looking in, there must be more that can be done.

The longer I spend in Addis, the simpler my life becomes and what I refer to as my "petty day-to-day western problems" are not an issue anymore. Without meaning to pass judgement on the way people lead their lives in Africa, my experiences here remind me of some of the excitement of my childhood. Like a 5th grader who just had the first opportunity to find something on his own (that was me in the 50's), I sought out a new Chinese restaurant for dinner last night. I found it on the web, called to get the time they are open until, and got dropped off at Meskel square. I went to where I though the restaurant was and could not find the front door. Remembering that the voice on the other end of the line said "12" when I asked how late they were open, I jumped to the conclusion that it was silly ferenge (remember that is what they call foreigners here) who could not find the door. I asked someone who motioned to a young man who came over and told me it did not open until 12. It was 6:30PM then and bewildered by what I had just found out, I cabbed it back to the guest house and dined as usual on Bole road.

After dinner I picked up a few succulent supplies for breakfast over the next few days ... at home that may have been a small steak, maybe a container of peach yogurt, or some blueberry granola. In Addis it was 2 bananas which, with the 2 slices of white bread I did not eat at dinner, would become a scrumptious PB&B sandwich in the AM. I slept well last night but could not get that sandwich out of my mind. The other banana will appear in some yougourt tomorrow ... I can't wait.

I am enjoying it here, as I am sure ST in particular has noticed and, from reading my posts since I left, I could be mistaken for a 10-year old rather than a geriatric :) I am getting more familiar with the customs here and now take pride in allowing the shop-keeper to break off my 2 bananas rather than doing it myself. I am proud to confidently stroll into the bank and stand by the dispenser while I am given a number by the attendant which determines when I will be served.

At lunch today Tagel is taking me to the merkato to look at guitars. We will have lunch there and, based on what I find there, I will decide what to do next. If there is nothing there "suitable", I am going to buy an electric at Dembel mall or ABC Trading. They are 5,000 birr or just over $400 USD. Considering the pleasure the axe will give me, $400 is next to nothing. I am taking this purchase out of my daily expenses so it really would cost me nothing.

No comments: