Saturday, August 22, 2009

A nice Saturday

More on guitar ... here, oh! I was at 2 guitar stores today. The first was at Dembel mall. That is where I went with Paul and drooled a few days ago when the store was closed. They had 2 electrics, both priced at $5,000 which is about 400 USD. I found that a little high. When wandering around outside of the mall I noticed a building sort of across the street with the name ABC trading in big letters. That rang a bell, so I had to investigate. Lo and behold, abother guitar store but mainly full of sound equipment. They had a very nice blond Yamaha 6-string and, odd as it may seem, a 6-string Peavey electric bass. They only had 3 guitars and the fact that one was a 6-string bass was curious. Their guitars were 6,500 birr but the price was immediately dropped to 5,000.

Interestingly as well, both stores, when I asked if they had any acoustics, said ... finished. I guess acoustic business is seasonal for some reason. I asked when they would be getting more and they did not know. No purchase made. I pondered the amount and the "need" for a guitar all afternoon. I had dinner at Paul's then cabbed it home for 60 birr. What a treat.

I sat on the balcony, and sang to my Sweet Thing. I know she heard as I did all her favourites ... Deacon Blues, Doctor Wu, Waiting for a Girl Like You, Who Loves You, and one of mine ... The Boston Rag. Then the rain came, and came, and came. As I have said before it can't just rain here, it's POURS. I got as quick email from Naddy who wants to speak with me about school ... bonus! Tonight's downpour is accompanied by thunder and lightning.

The guitar plan has firmed up as follows. I now have Tagel's (work companion) Peavey but the action is not great and it will not stay in tune. He will be taking me next week to merkato to look at guitars. After that happens, I will decide what to do next. I figured that $400USD for something that will give me so much joy is worth it. Also, my expense re-imbursement will pay as well, so nothing out of pocket. I have my guitar strap amp as well as a clip-on-the-belt amp for electric.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I could hear all my favorite songs from Addis SB. Cant wait for you to get a guitar already SB.