Monday, August 17, 2009

Opening of the bank account

A very nice gentleman from RSU picked me up about 2PM. Dereje drove us to Deker guest house as I did not have my passport with me. We then went to a photo store to get 2 passport pictures taken, as required by regulations to open an account. We then went to the Commercial bank of Ethiopia to do the paperwork. Unfortunately we ended up at the wrong branch. As it turns out, each branch of each bank here appears to be on its own.

We then went to the branch near the MoFED office which is probably the best location. There was a lot of forms to fill out, something like I remember doing when I opened my first bank account not long before my bar mitzvah :) I deposited 50 birr in the account and received a passbook.

The service was excellent and I am now the proud holder of an Ethiopian current bank account. I will get a bank card from them and I will be able to use the ATM; but only the ATM at that branch. I saw some parts of Addis I had not yet seen, and was proud to recognize Meskel square during our voyage around the city. A bigger test is today after work when I will be dropped off at Dembel mall to have a look, fingers-crossed, at guitars.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I dont think you can pay our household bills in birr. Do they have six string guitars?? xox

Ben J. Abbey said...

He paid the heating bill at Chapel in BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRs.

Sandy said...

Way to go Benno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!