Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Give me an "E", give me a "T" ...

It was a beautiful sunny day in Addis; there is nothing like an Ethiopian summer at 8,500 feet above sea level. The mercury was about 26 degrees, about 4 to 5 less than the most it will get. Also ... tada ... no humidity :) I played tennis at 5 after work and the foot is doing well. After tennis and from time-to-time during other times, I walk with the stick to give the left foot some rest. Right now the left and right foot ... as far as aches and pains, I cannot tell the difference.

Paul et al bought some bamboo outdoor furniture a few weeks ago, and a few pieces were targeted to be ready yesterday. As well, before I went to Canada, I stopped at the tailor and put a down payment on a white sports jacket. The plan was to stop there the Monday when I was back in Addis. So on the way home yesterday, we first stop at the tailor. I think you know what's coming next ... jacket not even started. He takes my cell number and says he'll call me when I should come in for a fitting. Next stop ... bamboo store. Surprise surprise, nada is ready. You know what? It does not matter. This is such a laid back society that most companies do business like that and, based on the noticably more relaxed way people live here, c'est la vie (French for "that's life"). If this were Ottawa, one may suggest to the proprietor how that is a ridiculous way to do business, so how about a discount to compensate for my time?

By the way, did I tell you yet this hour ... I LOVE THIS F&%$%^G PLACE. The only thing missing is YOU.

I traded Hiruy (tennis coach) an additional Ethiopian olympic jacket for the tennis string I bought him in Ottawa. When I get back home, I will toss a coin to see which one of my offspring will get the second jacket if I do not end up keeping myself. Bartering ... the oldest (AND BEST) way to do business in my opinion.

2 comments:

Ben J. Abbey said...

Oldest and best like me!

Sandy said...

SB Will u wear the white suit around the house Will u bring it on the safari. xoxo