Friday, September 11, 2009

A new year's day

I sat down to watch tennis when I got back to Deker Thursday night. The women's doubles semi-final was on featuring guess what sisters :). I watched a bit then was asked by the innkepper to come outside and celebrate the new year with some people. There was a gathering of about 12 people, and one of the twig-towers (I call them though I am sure there is an oficial name for them as they represent some symbolism with the new year). The tower was lit amidst singing and rejoicing. I took a few minutes to fall over then the twigs smouldered for 10 minutes or so. I then watched the mixed doubles final and an American couple won. The woman on the winning team was named Gullickson, and her father Bill was in the stands. They interviewed him, remembering his illustrious carreer with the Expos. Yes Ian, he did mention your name and Jarry Park in the interview. I know you are not the only one who has taken the sentiment of the Don McLean's American Pie anthem, and changed some famous words to "the day the baseball died" referring to the Expos leaving Montreal. A travesty of the first degree, not to mention the strike in the early 90's which we all fantasize as having been the Expos' year.

I spoke with the owner of Deker while celebrating new year. He built the guest house 5-6 years ago and it cost him $120,000 USD which I think was not a lot compared to what a dwelling of this size would cost in North America. The guest house averages 60-75% full and he says that is enough for him to live comfortably. He has no mortgage :) He also has a handful of commercial properties throughout Addis.

I could not stay up for the men's singles tennis matches; I do not thing the Nadal event was slated to start before 2AM my time. I hope to have the energy to stay up Sunday evening to watch the men's final. I went for a nice long walk this morning up Bole, then cut down a connector to the other Bole. I then sauntered into the tennis club to check out the action and watched some tennis for a while then came home. I have no plans until dinner so it's a lazy day for SB. I had a very nice chocolate croissant and double machiatto at the Parisienne cafe close to Deker; it is famous for its pastry and they do have a full menu which I will sample one day.

The natives were out with the usual hustle-bustle keeping the streets and storefronts immaculate. An owner was mopping the floor in his establishment while I browsed the clothing. I am sure the mop he was using has been replaced in at least the last 2-3 years, but stirring up and pushing around the dirt was a welcome sight. There were five little girls singing outside the Parisienne and, surprise surprise, were they cute or what :)

Today is unfortunately a day to remember in history ... September 11, 2001; one of the blackest days in the history of the western world. We will never forget the tragedy of that day.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

First - the baseball strike - avery sad time for Montrealers - Glad you are able to catch all that tennis SB ps when are you posting a picture of yourself sporting your new suit. I'm dying to see it

Joel said...

Michael,
Just home after kidnapping Janet and taking her home to Fl. Stopped off to visit friends and son Mattie along the way and had fabulous time. Sorry you werent around to hug. maybe next time. Joel