Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Good old Bole road.

Let me know if this reminds you of something ... on the street level entrance to Deker Inn, they have a security guard there 24 hours a day. In the wee hours of the morning one has to shake the door violently to get the attention of whomever is on duty. The guard is usually outside wandering around close to the door or inside being very attentive while on duty. So, someone got the brilliant idea of getting the guard a chair to sit in. I mean, why stand when you can sit? At first the guard was hesitant, but after finding out the guy who brought the chair was engaged to the owner's daughter, and said it was OK, he gladly sat down ... I think you know what happened next ... some "bad" people held up the guest house; episode ? what season was that? Mr. Ross's clothing store?

I went into Kaldi's tonight on a short walk, and asked for coffee beans, as advertised on the menu on the wall ... sorry, we do not carry coffee beans. Do other Kaldi's ... sorry no. Kaldi's is Amharic for Starbucks :) What chains sell beans? Don't know. I bought some presents for friends at the store down the street, as well as some unroasted green coffee beans for me and the ST to roast and grind ourselves. I also bought the penultimate gift for one of my two sisters-in-law ... Dobi.

Since my foot has been bothering me too much lately, I decided to get a stick to walk with to share the weight on my left side between my foot and arm. I spoke to no less that 3 office personnel who work for Paul and they all said they would ensure the driver that took us home knew what I needed and where to get a stick. As wonderful as this place is, it makes me nuts sometimes. On the way home ... no knowledge of the stick and no idea where to get one. I told Paul there really is only 1 person ... Dereje the lead driver who, when you ask him to do something, ensures wit ill ALWAYS happen or he will tell you if it can/will not.

I think my foot was really bothering me at work today because my shoe was too tight as I had a tensor on it. I will leave the tensor off tomorrow and see if I experience the same problem. Paul, John, and I were planning to meet tonight at the MattiPlex at Edna mall to see a movie called Wanted. I thought I'd mosey on down there beforehand and ensure it was playing, which it was NOT. I called Paul and got him before he headed out.

Paddy and Sean, I now have 5 of the things you want in Addis Abebe, and will feverishly work on the rest when I can. By the way, some of the stuff you want just does not exist here ... black licorice (or red too) or monkeys. The Ethiopian flag I found is so small, it is next to impossible to make out the flag, but the person I bought it from ensured me it is there. There are tortoises though the size of your kitchen sink, or as big as the space that would be consumed by 4 basketballs stuffed into a pillow case. JJ ... how about del Potro? Your buddy with the nice tushy got slaughtered. Joel, we need to talk about BahAddis Fresh. David R. keep them coming. Some of the stuff we have seen lately has been GREAT. Ottawa minus less than 96 hours; I NEED TO HOLD MY SWEET THING. Oh by the way ... wonder drug of the century is ciproflaxin; talk about corn starch for the end of one's digestive system :)

3 comments:

LabbeyJabbey said...

The Maestro episode . . that's a classic..

Sandy said...

Sweet Boy do you want me to be a coffee bean grinder or should we just stomp on them oops not you with your sore foot. I love the way things work in Addis - movies, coffee places etc. Are you coming home this weekend??? Really ha ha Your brisket and apricot chicken await you.

Michael S. Abbey said...

I would rather you grind them love.