Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Finally found something

Other than the lack of some more sophisticated systems in the areas such as IT and banking, I finally found a few things that annoy me about this country. I find the drivers very rude and impatient and there is a lot of aggression towards pedestrians that I am not used to seeing in, yes, of all places, the western world. They have no patience for people walking and will cut us off when we "obviously" have the right of way. They have white lines painted on the pavement for crosswalks and nobody pays any attention to them. They are called "zebras" and if you hit a pedestrian in one of them with your vehicle it is automatically minimum 5 years in prison. Maybe that should be implemented for horn-honking which is worse here than NYC.

The street people begging for money are getting to me as well. I am thinking of hanging a sandwich board around my neck that says "NO" in Amharic. I have also been told that there are so many vehicles spewing black smoke since many of them are so old and running on carburetors rather than fuel injection they cannot possibly burn the fuel efficiently. The black smoke is indicative of incomplete combustion.

With that said, I do love this place and 1 thing is missing which will be fixed in 23 days ... I will give you a hint, it's a word, 6 letters long starts with "f" and ends in "y". I have 3 meetings today at work, one with the Dulcian people and the other with the MoFED developers to discuss their impressions/gather their feedback about IBEX2.

No comments:

Blog Archive