Saturday, December 12, 2009

Shabat shalom

Twas a very nice morning that started about 8 I think. I munched at Bilo's then hopped in a blue bus for a 50 birr cent ride to Kezanches where I then walked towards Meskel square. I ran into Melaku with his brother at Bilo's and we sort of made plans to see the German band tonight somewhere near here. These are the same guys that we saw a while back at Wim's just before Oktoberfest. I asked one of the guys at Bilo's if he has a wife, and the response was classic ... No I have no money :). Since when do spouses cost money? I walked for about 20 minutes, then before traversing Meskel asked permission from one of the federales to take pictures there and was given the go-ahead. There are many spots in Addis where it is well known pictures are forbidden and if caught taking a picture there, one could be held by the authorities until they are satisfied that you meant no harm. They let you go camera-less eventually in what I am told can be 6-48 hours. Hence my asking the office before getting started on photos. I got a few shots of tomorrow's football stars and they just love seeing pictures of themselves.

I went to get some more stuff for the gang back home and remembered some advice Tagel gave ma about these shops. He told me the sales personnel know what the owner wants for each item in stock. If the sellers can get more than has to be turned over to the owner, that is extra in their pockets. He prefers figuring out who the owner is and dealing directly with him/her.

I walked down Bolé Cameroon for a while and had a burger at Parisienne. I then upgraded my onesie at a store; the pants will need shortening by Greenbank tailor when I return to Canada. I did quite a bit of walking today but still am not pushing it. Now for some guitar playing, and what I hope is the mastery of Michelle ...

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Happy Hannukah!
We are all looking forward to haring the Beatles when you return...Sean especially!
S

Blog Archive