Monday, December 28, 2009

Me first ... some habesha (native Ethiopians)

I am somewhat annoyed at some (not ALL) habesha when they are in a situation that they must wait on other people. This happens especially when in heavy traffic. Sometimes a car will advance into an intersection and position itself in such a way that it generates gridlock. If the driver had been a little more thoughtful, instead of 10 vehicles sitting there unable to move, 20-30 would have been able to proceed.

I noticed this in the hospital when I was there last week for the dentist to look at my tooth. When the door opened as someone came out of the office, habesha crowded around the opening, hoping to be served next regardless of the fact that others may have been there before them. I did mention this to a habesha at Bilo's last week and he just smiled and acknowledged that my impression is correct. I must stress that in general habesha are courteous, warm, friendly, and respectful. Outside of "wait events", these same habesha fall into this "nice" category. When at Edna mall a few weeks ago to see a movie, I am standing in line and a habesha arrives at the wicket and goes to the front of the line. I said to him "mind if I go before you?" and he allowed me, even though there were a few people in line behind me who had been and still were happy to have me served since I was ahead of them.

I am taking the kids (Burhan and Hanna) out for burgers today. I just hope they have enough high chairs at MKS. I spoke to Jordan and Lindsay today and they are in Banff for the night celebrating their 2nd anniversary. Annabelle is with friends of theirs overnight as her parents are in Montréal for Christmas.

No comments:

Blog Archive