Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Work ethic

I have noticed what appears to be a profound difference between the work ethic of the blue collar worker as compared to some professionals in Ethiopia. This goes all the way from the street cleaner up to the information technology person. The blue collar worker is thorough, eager, is committed to doing a job properly. I have run across a number of people in IT who I am sure would pride themselves as professionals, but, to use a well-worn cliché from the western world, are "slackers". Some of them do close to nothing but take up space and seem to be "happy" with that.

I have not run across this in the west in IT, though I have run into many people who do not go the distance, and are complacent, believing they are doing a good job and deserve the remuneration they receive. In summary, it seems to be the exact opposite for many (not all) workers in the west and what I have run across so far during this current forage into Africa.

No comments:

Blog Archive