Monday, December 7, 2009

An interesting experience

I tried using the bank machine today but it was out of service. I went into the bank which was already very very crowded. It was about 9:30AM and it does not really slow down there until 1'ish. I get number 211. When I arrive they are at about 192 so the wait did not seem to be long.

So they start cycling through the numbers at a surprisingly feverish pace, and all of a sudden 211 shows up (hey I just won the lottery :)). I start to navigate through the throngs of people, and by the time I get to wicket #10, it is showing #217. Say what? One has 3 seconds to claim one's turn then the teller flicks the "vacant" switch and another number is called.

I got served at the next teller who was already showing 221 by the time I arrived and he gave me s__t for not paying attention to the numbers as they were called.

Welcome to Africa ...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilarious, but efficient!

Hey, any tips on a good gift for someone about to embark on a safari in Kenya?

Enjoy your last few weeks!!

Shauna said...

It sounds like getting your OHIP card renewed!

Michael S. Abbey said...

A lightweight cotton vest would be best or a small "purse-sized" bottle of hand sanitizer with a larger bottle to keep full would be great Les. Sweet Thing got me one at Le Baron on Merivale; a Columbia vest with LOTS of pockets.

Michael S. Abbey said...

Not only my OHIP card, but your charge account at Penan Wok and Shauna's leftover kitchen :)

Blog Archive